Saturday, November 1, 2008

Can They Really Take My Car Away From Me If I Drive Drunk

Yes. On a third or subsequent OWI-related conviction, you technically must surrender the title to the vehicle involved in the offense to the clerk of courts to be stamped "Per section 346.65(6) of the Wisconsin statutes, ownership of this motor vehicle may not be transferred without prior court approval." The title will be stamped and returned to the owner. Failure to surrender a certificate of title is subject to a $500 fine. Then, the judge may order seizure of the vehicle used in the offense. The seized vehicle will be subject to forfeiture proceedings. However, in most situations, the judge does not order your car to be forfeited.

No comments: